This is a very simple dish that requires no “cooking” at all, besides the toasting of some sesame seeds. Just place tofu on a dish and top it with a spicy sauce.
Though simple, it is delicious and can look like a sophisticated dish, depending on its presentation. (I admit that mine looked rather messy.)
Yangnyeumjang Sundubu (Tofu with Spicy Sauce) — 양념장 순두부
- 10 oz. soft tofu, chilled and cut in 4 pieces, sliced into slabs or left whole
- 4 tsp. soy sauce*
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Korean red pepper powder**
- 1 tsp. water
- 1 tsp scallion, very finely chopped
- 1 fresh chili pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- Place sesame seeds in a pan and toast them until brown. Lightly crush them while still warm.
- Chop the garlic, scallion and chili pepper (if using).
- Place a piece of tofu in each of 4 small, shallow bowls (or the entire piece of tofu or all the tofu slices in one shallow serving bowl.)
- Combine all sauce ingredients, stirring to mix well.
- Drizzle the sauce over the top of each serving of tofu.
- Garnish each serving with finely chopped fresh chilies, if desired.
- Serve as a side dish with rice and other dishes.
[From The Food of Korea]